I want Chocolate CAKE!
A few days ago I decided I wanted to make a chocolate cherry cake without a recipe. I’ve made a chocolate cake without a recipe before and it turned out quite tasty. It’s a great way to use up bits and pieces in the fridge.
Here’s the result:
For those keen to have a go, here’s the ‘sort-of’ recipe (ie. don’t expect anything to be exact – you’ll need to play with it)
- Half a jar of morello cherries
- self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- sour cream
- vanilla essence
- teaspoon of instant coffee, disolved in hot water
- Pre-heat oven to roughly 170’C
- Lay cherries out on the bottom of a lightly greased cake pan – do not under any circumstances use a spring form pan, unless you enjoy cherry juice leaking out and running down the cupboards, oven, floor. Yes, this happened to me.
- Cream butter and sugar. I used around 3/4 cup of sugar and a few tablespoons of butter
- Add sour cream – again a couple of tablespoons
- Mix in some vanilla essence, 4 tablespoons of cocoa, the coffee and eggs
- You should now have a runny-ish batter
- Start sifting in flour – roughly a cup.
- The batter will now be more like dough, add enough milk to make it runny again
- Spoon the batter over the cherries, place in the oven and bake until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a rack to cool – the cake may fall apart at this stage, but it will taste just as good. Promise.