As you’re all probably aware by now, my husband and i put our first veggie patch this year. We’ve had things go to seed, prolific peas, stunted zucchinis, a few tomatoes, lots of herbs, but on the whole the venture hasn’t been very successful.
- The ‘premium soil’ we bought wasn’t very good. Lots of sand and it’s very hard to keep damp
- We planted some things -namely the zucchini, capsicum and spinach- too early and the frosts stunted them
- When using pea straw don’t let the cute little pea plants remain in the veggie patch and smother the other plants
- Our north facing front yard possibly receives too much sun.
- Broccoli and celery definitely do not like this area.
- the spring onions and leeks are slow, but look like they’re coming good now the peas are gone!
We’ll continue to plant a few things here and there through the rest of summer, but we’ll do some proper research before putting the next crop in. We’ll definitely be adding lots and lots of compost to our beds too, if not replacing all the soil.
How are your veggie gardens going? Any tips?