I was excited yesterday to discover that Bellgirl is having a Veg About over at her blog.
This means I have an excuse to post even more pictures of the veggie patch! Yay!
For those who discover my veggie patch via the Veg About here’s a quick summary of the patch so far:
- We live on a sub-division – read hardly any backyard with lots of shadow, however our front yard is big and north facing- the perfect place for a veggie patch.
- We put two raised beds in with sleeper edging
- Currently we have tomatoes, zucchini’s, lettuce, Broccoli, capsicum, spring onions, leeks, celery, spinach, various herbs and onions. We also have peas (more about those below!)
- Our bed is mulched with pea straw- I’m sure some of you can guess what is coming?!
- We are inundated with peas!!
The theme of today’s veggie update is PEAS!
I’m not fond of peas however a passer by may mistakenly think that we are pea-crazy. There’s peas in the flower beds, peas in the lawn, peas every where. We have no idea what sort of peas, they were freebies in the peas straw!
From l-r we have:
peas on the mound, peas in the patch, more peas in the patch, peas in the lawn, a male zucchini flower, a marigold, another marigold, the zucchinis, a general view, the parsley, a celery and lucky last is the first tomato!
So far we’ve eaten spinach, lettuce and herbs. The rest a a while away yet.
BellgirlNovember 11, 2008 at 11:08 am
Ooh male zucchini flowers, not long now! What a great photospread. you can eat the peashoots in salads or sandwiches, yum!
Hollyhock Hollow » Blog Archive » » PeasDecember 8, 2008 at 7:24 pm
[…] few week ago I wrote about being innundated with peas. This has proved to be a good thing given the way our other vegetables are […]